OT PRAYERS NEEDED pat goettel a fellow lympher

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

OT PRAYERS NEEDED pat goettel a fellow lympher

Postby jfraryj » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:56 am

we are requesting that you spread the word of this missing girl and that you all please say a prayer that she returns home safe .

this is what they know so far this happened on june 2nd pat sent me a prayer request for her and i have been keeping up to date on this this is what pat has sent to me and some that i found PLEASE PRAY for her to return home safe thanks this is the last note that i got from pat and she asked me to pass it on

well here is what I am doing.. I went to the local tv stations.. and there usually is a web listing of area churches.. I am sending a prayer request to everyone that has an email address.

Hello, I am Pat Goettel, For years I managed the Christian Bookstore in Miami, Okla. One of my good Friends is Pat Smith who also ran a bookstore in Overland Park Ks. Last night her 17 year old grandaughter was abducted out side a mall in Overland Park. Please pray for her safety, and her swift return. I am contacting the churches so that we can get as many people as possible to pray : Please pass this on.
so many of these emails are scams.. this is NOT.. Please pass this to anyone and everyone so we can see Kelsey returned to her loving family. Thank you in Jesus' name

thanks pat

Police seek missing Overland Park teen
Kansas City Star
June 03, 2007
Police are searching for an 18-year-old Overland Park woman who has been missing since Saturday evening.
Kelsey Smith was last seen about 7 p.m. leaving the Target store south of Oak Park Mall. She was expected to drive directly home from the store, but never made it, police said.
Her car, a 1987 two-door Buick Regal with a Kansas tag of WOZ 965, was found parked outside the Macy's store at the Oak Park Mall about two hours after she was last seen leaving the Target.
Smith is described as white, 5-foot-6 and about 120 pounds, police said. She has long, brown hair and brown eyes, and was last seen wearing a pink tank top, black shorts and possibly sandals.
Smith just graduated from Shawnee Mission West High School, police said.
Anyone with information is urged to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477) or Overland Police Detective Bob Miller at 913-327-6965.
Copyright © 2007 Kansas City Star, All Rights Reserved

Police Search For Missing Teen
POSTED: 10:26 am CDT June 3, 2007
UPDATED: 10:38 am CDT June 3, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police in Overland Park, Kan. are searching for a missing teenager.
Investigators said 18-year old Kelsey Smith was supposed to have been at a graduation party late Saturday night but did not show.

Investigators said Smith was last heard from around 7 p.m. Saturday night by phone near 97th and Quiviria in Overland Park.
Smith is 5 feet 6 inches tall, 120 pounds with long brown hair and brown eyes. Police said Smith was last seen wearing a pink tank top and black shorts.
Investigators said anyone who may have seen Smith in the last 12 hours, to call the TIPS hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Overland Park Police Search for Missing Teen
There have been 5 comments posted
Posted: 11:31 AM Jun 4, 2007
Last Updated: 4:30 PM Jun 4, 2007

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) _ Police are working leads they have received on the disappearance of an Overland Park teen missing since Saturday evening.
A five-thousand dollar reward is offered by the family of 18-year-old Kelsey Smith, who just graduated from Shawnee Mission West High School.
Her car was found at a shopping mall two hours after she ran an errand that family members believe should have taken less than 30 minutes. Smith's cell phone and ATM card were missing from her purse.
She had planned to meet her boyfriend at her home to go to a graduation party and then out to dinner.
Police say they're trying to establish Smith's whereabouts between 7:10 p.m. when she left a Target store and when her car was parked outside the Oak Park Mall at about 9:15.
Overland Park Police Captain Tom Fredrickson said Monday that they are hearing from people who might have seen the girl, a car like hers or a suspicious incident. But he says a lot of the leads have not panned out.

"We're not going home until we find her"
UPDATED: Just caught the tail end of the KSHB newscast. Target security footage shows Smith was clearly abducted, OP police say. No other details just yet.
About 125 people are looking for Kelsey Smith this afternoon. They gathered about 2 p.m.in the Target parking lot near 97th and Quivira in Overland Park, where Smith went to buy a graduation present before she disappeared. A lot of the searchers were teenagers, but it was a mix of people -- little kids, adults, men, women. I heard one of Smith's sisters say that she didn't know half the people there. A lot of the cars had Kelsey's missing-person flier taped to their windows.
His voice breaking, Smith's dad addressed the crowd before they headed out to comb the surrounding neighborhoods. “We want to tell you, when we turned in here and saw the number of people, we couldn’t believe how many people had come out here to help us. ... I just want to thank everybody who took the time out of their day to help us find our daughter. God bless you all, and we love you.”
Lindsey Smith, one of Kelsey's sisters, said they started making up the search map last night, then went on the noon news to ask for help. (They're trying to publicize the case through the media as much as they can, hoping it'll turn up the information they need to find her.) I asked her if there was anything else people could do.
“Just, if you want to help, come out even if it’s after 2 o’clock. We’re going to be here. We’re not going home until we find her.”
(The family's set up a Web site about her case. The reward is up to $10,000.)

Associated Press - June 4, 2007 12:14 PM ET
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) - Police are working leads they have received on the disappearance of an Overland Park teen missing since Saturday evening.
A $5,000 reward is offered by the family of 18-year-old Kelsey Smith, who just graduated from Shawnee Mission West High School.
Her car was found at a shopping mall two hours after she ran an errand that family members believe should have taken less than 30 minutes. Smith's cell phone and ATM card were missing from her purse.
She had planned to meet her boyfriend at her home to go to a graduation party and then out to dinner.
Police say they're trying to establish Smith's whereabouts between 7:10 p.m. when she left a Target store and when her car was parked outside the Oak Park Mall at about 9:15.
Overland Park Police Captain Tom Fredrickson said today that they're hearing from people who might have seen the girl, a car like hers or a suspicious incident. But he says a lot of the leads haven't panned out.
The Kansas City Star: http://www.kcstar.com
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Kelsey Smith is Missing
** PLEASE SEE UPDATES AT BOTTOM OF THE ENTRY **
Kelsey Ann Smith, age 18, has been missing since the evening of Saturday, June 2, 2007.
According to the Kansas City Star, the recent graduate from Shawnee Mission West High School was last seen leaving a Target department store south of Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, Kansas. Kelsey was supposed to be on her way home.
She never made it. Kelsey’s car, an ‘87 Buick Regal, was found in the parking lot outside the Macy’s at the mall, 2 hours after Kelsey left the Target. Kelsey, 5′6″ with long brown hair and brown eyes, was last seen wearing a pink top, black shorts, and sandals.
Kelsey phoned her mother at a quarter past 7 p.m. Saturday night to let her know she was on her way. Kelsey was to attend a graduation party that night. Kelsey was known to be a responsible young woman and it was this combined with the fact that there was a party she planned to attend that raised the alarm early.
A person familiar with the situation e-mailed me and said that Kelsey’s family is, understandably, “beside themselves.”
The same person was able to confirm that this is Kelsey Smith’s MySpace page:
http://www.myspace.com/bandbaby2007.
Kelsey didn’t really seem to use her MySpace profile all that much. She did list some of her interests, and they included, “marching band, choir, theater, ” and books like The Lovely Bones and Pride and Prejudice.
Kelsey listed her place of employment as AMC Theaters, but my e-mail contact said that they believed that she worked for a veterinarian.
Kelsey Smith also apparently had a Xanga journal that she began in 2003:
http://www.xanga.com/BandBaby2007
A little more about Kelsey could be found there — an entry made in June of 2006 showed that she was no dummy, and a young woman who held herself to some pretty high standards. A portion of that entry:
I wanted to get a 26 on the ACT I got a 25 and I did better in Math than I did in Science. What the crap? That’s stupid! I want a recount! Oh well I’m disappointed in myself and now I’m gonna have to retake the stupid ACT GOSH!
As senior year began, Kelsey’s excitement was palpable: “I am officially a FRICKIN SENIOR!!! HECK YES!”
After August, 2006, she didn’t use her Xanga much. Most likely the demands of senior year and planning for college got in the way.
Where could a girl like Kelsey be? There was no sign of anything untoward, any unusual instability in her blog entries. The way Kelsey wrote about it, mostly she dealt with the kind of drama familiar to generations of teens in their last year of high school. She often seemed to laugh such things off, if her blog entries from 2005 and mid-2006 are any indication.
Seeing that Kelsey listed The Lovely Bones as a book she liked on her MySpace page, I recalled that the novel by Alice Sebold was about a girl who was kidnapped, brutalized, and murdered by a serial killer. The story was told from the deceased girl’s vantage point in heaven, as she watched those still alive cope with losing her.
I hope there will be no dark and terrible irony later in Kelsey having liked that particular book.
The search is ongoing in the Kansas City (MO) area for Kelsey Smith. Any updates will be posted below.
UPDATE 1, 6/04/07
A website has been created to help find Kelsey Smith:
http://findkelsey.com/.

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/156071 ... 0413077178
Surveillance shows teen was abducted
Kansas City Star
June 04, 2007
Surveillance tape shows an Overland Park teen-ager missing since Saturday evening being forced into her car at a Target store where she had stopped on an errand.
Kelsey Smith, who graduated about 10 days ago from Shawnee Mission West High School, left the store at 97th Street and Quivira Road around 7:10 p.m. and put the packages in the passenger seat of her 1987 Buick. Out of nowhere, in a busy parking lot and in broad daylight, someone runs toward Kelsey.
'As she opened the driver's side door, the individual sprinted up behind her and pushed her into the car,' Overland Park Capt. Tom Fredrickson said. Her car was found about two hours later in the Macy's parking lot at the nearby Oak Park Mall with her purse and packages inside.
Investigators planned to spend tonight poring other surveillance of the parking lot to see if they can get a better view of the person or gain more insight into what happened. They don't know if Kelsey was abducted by someone she knew or if she was picked at random.
Media attention on the case brought in dozens of leads, but investigators said they had not panned out.
The news late in the day that Kelsey was abducted made family and friends who'd walked nearby neighborhoods for several hours passing out fliers even more determined to find her.
'We were thinking that it happened, but to hear it confirmed pumps you up even more,' said Stevie Hockersmith, Kelsey's older sister. 'We will bring her home.'
In today's canvass, Kelsey's close friends knocked on doors or stuffed fliers into door handles.
'Our friend is missing,' Chris Harvey said as he and Megan Hoss, who plans to room with Kelsey at K-State, approached a man and woman doing yard work along Melrose Street.
Dorothy and Thomas McCaskill had heard about Kelsey on television. Dorothy even stopped by the chapel at Holy Spirit Catholic Church this morning to say a prayer for the girl and her family.
'It makes me sick,' Dorothy McCaskill said. 'I can't think of anything worse. She's in my heart.'
Kelsey's family was scheduled to appear on national news programs Tuesday morning, talking about the middle child in a family of four girls and one boy. A clarinet player in the Shawnee Mission West marching band, she plans to join an older sister in the Kansas State University band this fall.
Volunteers will regroup Tuesday morning to see what areas still need to be canvassed.
HOW TO HELP
Smith is white, 5 feet 6 inches tall and about 120 pounds, police said. She has long, brown hair and brown eyes, and was last seen wearing a pink tank top and black shorts and possibly sandals or tennis shoes.
Her car is a silver, 1987 two-door Buick Regal with Kansas tag WOZ 965.
Anyone with information is urged to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477) or Detective Bob Miller at 913-327-6965.

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene ... oing_.html
We're not going home until we find her"
UPDATED: Just caught the tail end of the KSHB newscast. Target security footage shows Smith was clearly abducted, OP police say. No other details just yet.
About 125 people are looking for Kelsey Smith this afternoon. They gathered about 2 p.m.in the Target parking lot near 97th and Quivira in Overland Park, where Smith went to buy a graduation present before she disappeared. A lot of the searchers were teenagers, but it was a mix of people -- little kids, adults, men, women. I heard one of Smith's sisters say that she didn't know half the people there. A lot of the cars had Kelsey's missing-person flier taped to their windows.
His voice breaking, Smith's dad addressed the crowd before they headed out to comb the surrounding neighborhoods. “We want to tell you, when we turned in here and saw the number of people, we couldn’t believe how many people had come out here to help us. ... I just want to thank everybody who took the time out of their day to help us find our daughter. God bless you all, and we love you.”
Lindsey Smith, one of Kelsey's sisters, said they started making up the search map last night, then went on the noon news to ask for help. (They're trying to publicize the case through the media as much as they can, hoping it'll turn up the information they need to find her.) I asked her if there was anything else people could do.
“Just, if you want to help, come out even if it’s after 2 o’clock. We’re going to be here. We’re not going home until we find her.”
(The family's set up a Web site about her case. The reward is up to $10,000.)
Posted by James Hart on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 09:02 PM in Missing persons | Permalink
TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/337438/19044346
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "We're not going home until we find her":
Comments
Aren't there some walking trails nearby that mall that cut down through OP into Olathe? I hope they are searching in that area as well.
Just with the circumstances, it just doesn't sound good for this young woman.
Posted by: You're a Mean Drunk R2D2™ | Monday, June 04, 2007 at 04:29 PM
I was terribly afraid of that. That poor family and Kelsey. God, please let them her quick, alive and unharmed other than emotionally.

Parents question connection between missing teens
Posted By: Paige Heyward

BELTON, Mo. – A month ago Monday, another teenager went missing from Belton High School. And now, new details in the case of Kelsey Smith have Kara Kopetsky’s parents curious about a possible connection.
Police have not drawn a connection, but Kopetsky’s parents say there are too many similarities in the cases to believe it is just a coincidence.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with them and we know what they're going through,” Kopetsky’s parents said.
On May 4th, Kopetesky, 17, went missing. “There's been no contact she hasn't called there's been no bank activity,” her mother, Rhonda Beckford said.
Last Saturday, Kelsey Smith, 18, was abducted from an Overland Park Target store. Both teenage girls have brown hair and brown eyes.
The Beckford’s are following Kelsey’s case, hoping it will lead to answers in Kopetsky’s investigation.
“It's almost one month to the day that Kara came up missing that Kelsey came up missing,” her stepfather James Beckford said.
“They said it was abnormal for that to happen. They said she has no reason to leave or runaway. Kara had no reason to leave or runaway,” Rhonda Beckford said.
Belton police say there is no reason to believe the two cases are connected, but the Beckford’s are not convinced.
Meanwhile, they’re frustrated by a bogus sighting of their daughter in Louisburg, Kansas two weeks ago. That has some believing their daughter is safe.
“That sighting was not confirmed or verified there was no surveillance tape video tape to back it up,” James Beckford said.
“People out there if you have fliers up please leave them up cause she's still missing,” Rhonda Beckford said.
Now they want the entire metro community to focus on bringing both girls home, and protecting other young women.
Find Kara Kopetsky
Find Kelsey Smith
jfraryj

Postby marigold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Julie, I am so sad to learn that the girl, Kelsey, was someone known to Pat G. As you all know by now, she was killed and a man has been arrested in the case. We've talked about it at work.....so very very sad.

Marigold
marigold

thanks marigold

Postby jfraryj » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:02 pm

yes it is so very sad kelsey is no longer with us .i will pass the message on to pat G .i should have posted a update .thanks marigold for your thoughts and kind words i will be sure to let pat know she will appreciate
it .take care julie
jfraryj

Postby patoco » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi Julie

Give my deepest condolences as well to pat G.

I don't even know what to say in this situation. Somethings are beyond human comprehension and I can't even begin to fathom what the family is going through.

As a dad, I am even more horrified, because I know how vulnerable our children are...even grown ones.

Give Pat our deepest love and let her know how much her family is in our prayers.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

i did

Postby jfraryj » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:55 am

pat i did send your prayers to her and her family .wow it is hard to find the right words at a time like this but you not knowing what to say it must have really kinda hit hard being a father and grandfather .yes its scary to think that these sickos will take someone any age any gender anything they want they take. it effects a huge number of people family friends and as we all know even strangers .i didnt know Kelsey or her family and it really hit me square in the heart it made me cry and really think about how fast a precious life can be taken .
jfraryj

Return to Welcome Family