Another newbie

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Another newbie

Postby vwhippiegirl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:50 am

Just thought I'd post my introduction since I'm new to the group. My name is Leslie. I'm 27 and I currently live in Florida. I found my way here thanks to Lisa. :) I just found out a few months ago that I had lymphedema. I'm still pretty new to it all. It's a lot to take in. The sad part is I've had this for at least a year if not longer. I'm overweight so I just chalked it up to being fat. I was dumb and didn't know any better. I went in last month for physical therapy. I have primary lymphedema (but the only other person in my family that has it is my aunt. She had breast cancer and it's in her arm). Actually my therapist wasn't so sure that it wasn't Lyphoedema (but she never mentioned anything else about it, so I assume we're still going with primary lymphedema). Both of my legs are infected. My left is worse than my right. The compression bandages worked really well for me. I was very happy with the results. Once my compression stockings came in my therpay was pretty much over. Since I've been using the stockings I have become very disappointed. My legs seem to have swollen back up, and I'm getting this little goose egg looking lumps around my ankle's now. Not to mention Sunday when I got home from work my left leg was the biggest I have ever seen it. You know how when you squeeze a water balloon it buldges out real huge? That's exactly what it looked liked. I am currently looking for a new PT, because after talking with Lisa (and some others) I have found my original one did not give me all the info I need. A few examples would be, how to properly bandage myself (and where to get the supplies and to tell me what the supplies are to do it), massage, using lotion, etc. I pretty much feel like I'm back and square one again. It's good to know there's somewhere to go to talk about this and get more information.
vwhippiegirl

Postby patoco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi Ya Leslie :)

Super welcome to our family here :!: :!: :!:

Leesburg is a nice little town...for most of my "growing up" years I lived in a little place called Auburndale...not terribly far from Leesburg.

Hope you do find a therapist that can help you get everything under control. We have resources on both the left under "Therapists" and in the forums under the Therapists, Clinics and Hospitals section.

Also, are you on antibiotics for that infection?

We have info too on leg wrapping, self leg massage and other self treatment under the leg lymphedema forum. I kinda share your frustrations with the compression stockings...never had much fortune with them...and wrapping seems to do more, at least for me.

Glad you could join us and don't hesitate to post any questions or thoughts.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby vwhippiegirl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:09 am

patoco wrote:Hope you do find a therapist that can help you get everything under control. We have resources on both the left under "Therapists" and in the forums under the Therapists, Clinics and Hospitals section.

I'm actually pretty excited. I did some calling around yesterday and the only other place in the area that does Lymphedema therapy is at one of the hospitals in town. My doctor was supposed to fax something over yesterday, so hopefully I will be hearing from them today to set up an appointment. I feel better going into it knowing what to ask about now.
vwhippiegirl

Return to Welcome Family