NEW FROM NEW JERSEY

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

NEW FROM NEW JERSEY

Postby robert » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 am

HI MY NAME IS ROBERT I HAD LYMPHEDEMA FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS.IN THE LAST 3 YEARS I BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL 5 TIMES WITH INFECTIONS AND SWOLLEN OF MY LEFT LEG.IN THE LAST YEAR I LOST MY MOM AND MY OF JOB 18 YEARS.MY BOSS WAS GREAT HE HAS HELP ME IN EVERY WAY, BUT I COULD NOT WORK AS A MANAGER OF THE DRUG STORE . ON MY FEET 12HOURS A DAY.I HAVE AN 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SHE IS THE BEST.MY WIFE ON THE OTHER HAND DOSE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT I CAN WALK BUT I CAN,T STAND ON MY FEET OR SIT TO LONG.I FILED FOR DISABILITY AND UNEMPLOYMENT YESTERDAY.I WISH THEY COULD TAKE MY LEG OFF.SO I COULD BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE.I AM GLAD I HAVE FRIENDS LIKE WHO I CAN BEAR MY SOUL TO.THE ONLY ONE WHO DOSE NOT JUDGE ME IS MY DAUGHTER.NOW THAT I AM NOT WORKING I GET TO SPEND A LOT MORE TIME WITH HER THANKS FOR LISTING ROBERT
robert

Re: NEW FROM NEW JERSEY

Postby patoco » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:50 am

Hey Robert :)

Super welcome bro :!: :!: :!:

My left leg has been my worse one too. It's ironic, my right leg is swollen just like it...but it has been theleft leg that has always had the infections, complications..you name it.

Just want to say to hang in there my friend. We're a family here and we are all here for you. :!:

I was finally forced into taking short term disability this year, and probably will have to go on to file for SS disability too. The docs are so adamant now about me working. It is a tough adjustment, but so far I've (with God's grace and good friends) been working on it and am much more content or rather at peace with it.

The counsellor at the oncologists doesn't think I'll have any problems with SS due to not only the severity of the lymphedema, but the lymphoma, the 24/7 oxygen, chest tubes..LOL...all the mechanical fun stuff I have hooked up now. I don't know if you ahve ever watched Star Trek, but I am beginning to feel like a Borg. :lol:

I have a daughter too, she's 26..and still my sweetheart. She's gotta be the best daughter anyone every had. I have a little grandson now too...she named him Connor in my honor. She and her hubby are busy making their basement (daylight with windows and doors) into an apartment so I can move in there. That was an adjustment too. But I know I can't continue to live alone, plus, you know, it will be really nice to be with family and to be able to play with my grandson every day.

Got a son too, Patrick III, he's 28...not married yet.

I'm sorry your wife doesn't understand. For me standing those long periods of time would just kill me. Not only in terms of the swelling but the pain.

Wanted to ask if you've had any kind of treatment and maybe see what we can do for that quality of life issue. Trust me, I do sooooo understand that. For several years now, my health has gone straigtht down and I often felt it would be better not to even be here anymore. Thank God that I have the doctors I do and that they were determined to help. For the first time in several years the actual quality of life for me has been a bit better.

Don'r hesitate to ask any questions, shoot, even if yo want to vent. Like I said, we're here, we've been down this path too.

The best to you!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Hello Robert,

May I also welcome you to this website dedicated to people like us who share the same problems with lymphedema. I am glad that you found us and can express your feelings of frustration and be understood. Maybe your doctor could explain things to your wife so she will understand.

I am glad that you have that wonderful daughter. She will keep you focused and be your shining star. My best wishes to you, and don't give up on yourself. Keep in touch and good luck to you always.
joanne johnson

Postby robert » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:00 pm

I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY IT NICE TO KNOW THERE ARE NICE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH I HAD TO GO ON WELFARE AND FOOD STAMPS TODAY.I HAVE TO DO WHAT EVERY IT TAKES TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY.THE GOOD PART IS I GET TO SPEND MOORE TIME WITH MY DAUGHTER. THANKS FOR LISTING ROBERT
robert

Return to Welcome Family