long-range effects of lymphedema & cellulitis

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

long-range effects of lymphedema & cellulitis

Postby BarbaraBinBrooklyn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:12 pm

I've had LE for 7 years and am very concerned about what my arm will be like "down the road". I've had recurring cellulitis (5x this year) and one doctor said it will get worse as time goes on. Anyone have any information??? Thanks, BBinB
BarbaraBinBrooklyn

Postby patoco » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Hey Barb

First, let me give you a super welcome to our family here..was so delighted when I saw you had joined. :wink:

I haven't been posting much on other sites as my own health (due to the long term effects of LE) has seriously declined this year.

While there can be a number of complications relaing to long term lymphedema, I personally feel cellulitis is probably the most immediate and potentially the most devestating.

If you have had cellulitis 5 times this year, you may want to talk to your doc about taking antibiotics as a preventative therapy.

Once you start having cellulitis that much there is kind of a viscous cycle that sets in. Not only does the cellulitis damage the lymphatics through scarring, but the lymphatics will eventually be further damaged through lympangiectasia (extreme dilation) and the lymph valves themselves will be damaged.

The end result of both of these is of course, increased swellng.

All of this leads to further hardening of the cutaneous tissues (fibrosis)....and the cycle goes on.

A list of these complications can be found at:

LYMPHEDEMA COMPLICATIONS
http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... ations.htm

These complications are why I always tell patients to do all they possibly can to have lymphedema treated and be in a maintenance program. I was never able to do this until it literally became too late and now have to deal with just about every complication you can think of.

Take a look at the page and please don't hesitate to post any questions you have on the info.

Again, so glad to have you join us...you do such a wonderful service with how you help on the Lymphedema board - http://bcsupport.org/

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family