Surgery Question

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Surgery Question

Postby Northern Michigan Girl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Hello Everyone!
Haven't been very active in this board, but have always come here if I need to find info....so thanks!
Anyway, I have primary Lymph in both legs, I was diagnosed 26 yrs ago when I was 12, I think puberty set it off. I have done MLD and have all the stockings, wrapping supplies etc... however, I don't wrap every night and I find the stockings impossible to keep up even with fancy glue. I am very conscience of keeping my skin in good condition and haven't had any cellulitus, fungus, exema in years. If I were to elevate my legs for a day, they would look almost normal. However, at the end of the day of being on my feet they can get pretty big, swollen and achey.
Back to my question.
I am having weight loss surgery in a month. (I'm sure everyone has their opinion about these procedures, but this is gonna change my overall health and probably save my life.) I will still have to work very hard to keep the weight off.
They put support stocking on you during surgery to keep the flow of blood going to prevent blood clots....should I wear my own compression thigh-high stockings into surgery, or let them use their own?
I suppose this is a question for my surgeon, just thought someone would have an opinion.
Thanks!
Northern Michigan Girl

Postby patoco » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Hey Michigan :)

This is a tough one. I definately would talk it over with the surgeon to make sure.

Some probably would disagree, but I tend to come down on the side of allowing them to use theirs.

Here's the reason. Since you are going to be immobile, it may be that the lymphedema compression stockings may provide to much compression and I would worry about the possibility that since you are in bed, they may tend to contribute to the possibility of a DVT.

The compression they use is lighter and in this situation probably would be the better, safe choice.

I do hope any therapist who might read this would jump in and give their opinion as well.

Best to You

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family