help trying to find whats causing swelling and pain in leg

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

help trying to find whats causing swelling and pain in leg

Postby carla45992 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:24 pm

hello i'm carla, my right leg has been swelling and gets worse with pain and swelling when i'm on it more. the dr. has run every test possible on my leg and can't find nothing! i read your articles and wonder if anybody has any idea what it is or maybe lymphedema. or what dr i need to see please help!!! i have gained so much weight because of very limited exersize. thank you, carla
carla45992

Postby patoco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Carla

Super welcome to our forums :!: :)

It may well be lymphedema, but I would need a whole bunch more info to even take an educated guess.

Things like: when did it start, do you remember how or if something happened like an injury or infection...or did it just start swelling on its own.

There is a radiology test that can confirm lymphatic blockage.

First. let me give you some pages to go through and see if anything sounds familiar or rings a bell.

Leg Swelling

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... elling.htm

Leg Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... hedema.htm

Also, be sure to take a look through the forum called LEG LYMPHEDEMA also.

Be sure to write down any questions and do post back.

I'll be looking for a note from you :wink:

:mrgreen: Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby carla45992 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:00 am

HI, 6YRS AGO I USE TO WALK A LOT. THEN I QUIT TO TAKE CARE OF MY DAD. FOR THE LAST 5 YRS MY LOWER RIGHT LEG STARTED SWELLING AND HURTING REAL BAD. I TRY NOT TO DO TO MUCH OR IT SWELLS UP WORSE. IF I DON'T WALK OR DRIVE TO MUCH IT DOESN'T SWELL UP REAL BAD. THE LAST 2 YEARS OR SO IF I'M UP ON IT A LOT IT WILL BURN ALSO. ALL TEST ARE NORMAL AND I'M GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE I CAN'T DO TO MUCH AND THE DR. DON'T KNOW. HE WANTS TO REFER ME TO A PAIN DR. BUT THAT STILL DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I WANT TO WALK AND LOSE WEIGHT BUT I CAN'T. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WITH THIS? I'M SO DEPRESSED. THE ER DR. SAID I COULD HAVE INJURED IT WHEN I WAS WALKING ALOT AND DIDN'T KNOW IT. I'M CONFUSED. THANK YOU CARLA
carla45992

Postby patoco » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:25 am

Hey Carla :)

Let's see if we can at least get you to a ceritified lymphedema clinic for an evaluation.

There are two forms of primary lymphedema that just suddenly show up without warning.

Lymphedema praecox (starts at puberty) and lymphedema tard (which can start in the thirties).

Also, there is cutting edge research that seems to indicate that the reason so many people get secondary lymphedema is that they have a predisposition for getting it.

I wonder if this is your case.

In the meantime, let me know where abouts you are...and let's get you to a therapist. We need to get the swelling treated and under control.

Pat O :wink:
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family