Mild Leg Lymphedema (anyone tried CASTOR OIL)?

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Mild Leg Lymphedema (anyone tried CASTOR OIL)?

Postby Jen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Hello Everyone. I am Jen. I am new. I have mild lymphedema in my right leg just above the knee. I had surgery in my groin to remove a sarcoma two 1/2 years ago. My pant leg was suddenly tight last month and I had numbness and tingling up and down entire leg. I am now seeing a PT for lymphatic drainage massage. She doesn't feel it is necessary to wrap my leg at night. I was talking to an herbalist and she told me to try putting castor oil on the swollen area. Has anyone tried this and if so has it had any effect?? Negative or positive responses would be greatly appreciated.
JEN FROM NEW JERSEY
Jen

Postby patoco » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:33 pm

Hey Jen

Super welcome to the family here :)

I know that castor oil has long been used for wound care, skin care and as a linament for sprains and things like that.

Did an extensive search and didn't find any clinicals that demonstrate that it might actually help lymphedema, as far as lymph flow and swelling from it.

Its greatest benefits seem to be on the skin and from what I did find it has significant value in that area.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family