Ready for a change

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Ready for a change

Postby lazyleftleg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm

i'm 29, married to a wonderful man and have a 2 yr old daughter that is the absolute prize of my life! it's been 4 years since the event that changed my life forever occurred (besides my daughter). i had a tumor removed from my left leg. it was there for almost 2 years before i was finally passed along to a doctor who cared enough to have it biopsied. (but that's another long story) when my surgeon removed the tumor, he also removed all the lymph nodes in my left groin as a precaution (they showed up enlarged on a scan). since then i've been living with lymphedema. actually that sums it up...i've just been "living" with it. i had never even hear that word or knew what my lymphatic system was, let alone how it worked. i think i've been in denial about my condition all along, believing ignorance is bliss. i didn't want to read or research anything about my condition because that would mean admitting that i have LE and i'm not "normal". 3 years ago my surgeon got me in touch with a company that offered a MLD program and i spent 2 weeks with a wonderful therapist that taught me to self massage and the wrapping process for my leg. i remember being so happy by the end of those 2 weeks...my leg looked pretty close to normal size, i could see my ankle and my achilles tendon! only someone with LE in the leg knows just how exciting that is. after that, i had every intention of taking care of my leg. but then real life set in and i kept thinking my leg looks fine and i was wearing my stocking everyday so no need to wrap. every once in a while, i'd feel guilty and ashamed of how my leg looked (mainly in the spring/summer) and would make a poor effort to massage and wrap. i would wear my stocking faithfully everyday but that's about it. now i have a toddler to chase after making it even more difficult to massage/wrap, just another excuse...i know. i became lazy at the prospect of managing my leg. the thought of massaging and wrapping all the time exhausted me and i could think of a million other things i'd rather do, or if i wrapped my leg, people would stare at me even more so i wouldn't do it. now, my husband has surprised us with a cruise that is just 2 weeks away and i'm in a mad rush to try and reduce the swelling for the trip. as i look at the current size of my leg i've hit a point of realization of what i've been doing to myself by not caring for my leg. i've decided to quit ignoring the obvious (quite obvious) and make my leg a priority in my life. i have no excuse...i'm not overweight, thankfully i've had no infections, i have the resources to help me, and a family to support me. i know i can count on this group to help me achieve it, and i want to do the same for anyone else that may need my support. after reading so many other peoples' posts, i truely no longer feel alone with lymphedema. all of the stories i read here are inspiring and my heart and prayers go out to each of you in whatever capacity you are dealing with LE. i'm so glad this forum is here!
lazyleftleg

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi ya Lefty :)

Want to give you a super welcome to our family here...very very glad you joined us.

'Tis never too late to get back on track and start the MLD, wrapping and such again. It really can make a difference.

I'm also in Georgia, about 25 miles east of Atlanta. There is also a great organization here called The Lighthouse Lymphedema Network (I also participate in that and am on the board):

The Lighthouse Lymphedema Network

http://www.lymphedemalighthouse.org/

We havae monthly meetins, special events and sponsor the Georgia Lymhpedema Awareness Day. This year, the National Lymphedema Network is going to have its patient summit in Atlanta as well.

Check out both our index on the left and the forums for tons of additional info.

I was born with hereditary lymphedema and am a 12 year cancer survivor too. I was diagnosede with mixed B cell lymphoma in 1995 and lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma in 2000.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post and I look forward to hearing from you and in your participation.

Best to you :!: :!:

Pat O'Connor
patoco
Site Admin

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Nello LLLeg,

First of all a big welcome to our lymph family. You are certainly not alone in dealing with the unique problems of this condition. I am so grateful for the info. and support I receive from this site. It is too easy to let things go in being attentive with caring for ourselves. You are back on target again.

Enjoy your relaxing cruise. Bon Voyage!
joanne johnson

Postby silkie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:45 am

Hiya Lefty

Big welcome to the best family around

Have a wonderful time on the cruise

looking forward to getting to know you when you come home

Hugsssssss
Silksxxxx
silkie

Postby lazyleftleg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 pm

thanks to everyone for the welcome. just to give a quick update, i went last week for my annual scans to make sure i'm still free and clear of tumors and everything checked out fine. i'm good for another year! hooray!! i discussed my concerns about my leg to my surgeon, and we agreed to get me back into therapy. i can pick up new stockings tomorrow to get me through my cruise and then i start therapy on the 30th. i'm so excited! can't wait to update you all thru my therapy and my cruise.
lazyleftleg

Return to Welcome Family