Does anyone play violin, piano, or weave with right arm LE?

Exercises, Diets, Nutrition, Vitamins, Health, Coping, gardening, herbal remedies, truncal lymphedema, chronic illness, breathing, stress, arm exercises, leg exercises, water exercises, low impact exercises, weight training, chair exercises, resistance exercises, stretch exercises, lymphatic drainage, detox patches

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Does anyone play violin, piano, or weave with right arm LE?

Postby juliebell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm newly diagnosed with right arm LE, and am missing my hobbies (passions) which are violin and piano playing, and weaving. I've been told to avoid repetitive motion, and motion against resistance, with my right arm. All of these activities involve exactly that. I've tried playing the piano and my arm will burn and swell after a brief period of playing. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and what they did about it. I don't know if I should 'push on' and hope for the best, or start resigning myself to a life without these activities. I don't know how far to push myself or how swollen I should let my arm get before I give up. If anyone has any words of wisdom on these activities, or something similar, I'd greatly appreciate hearing how you are handling it. Thanks!
juliebell

Playing piano with lymphedema arm

Postby patoco » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:05 pm

Hi Julie

One of my passions too was my piano (don't have one now...miss it like crazy) :( :(

I love to take a piece of music, recreate it and let the passion flow.

I don't think that those hobbies would interfere with or ake the lymphedema worse. The motions are not so repetitative that they should do that.

The only time I have problems with additional swelling is when I spend 24/7 on the computer.

I know how ya feel and all I can honestly do is say....go for it...see what is comfortable.

You have to have those special things in your life....helps make it all worthwhile.

Enjoy :D

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby juliebell » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks for your words of encouragement and wisdom, Pat. I truly don't know what I'll do with my life if I have to abandon my passions! I'm not used to looking like this and still panic at any increase in swelling beyond my new 'normal'. So I get scared when I attempt things and swell some more. Then I get depressed and sometimes feel there is nothing left in my life but lympedema. Guess I need to go put a warp on my loom!
juliebell

Postby silkie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Julie

Welcome to the family.

I am on the pc almost as much as Pat. I paint, sketch.

i knit , at one point i was in a lot of pain with my left arm

i have primary lymph both legs and my arm has developed it to

I have found kinesio taping has helped me

Might be worth talking to your doctor or therapist to see if it might be suitable for you

there is information here about kinesio.

hugggggggggggggg
Silks xxxxxx
silkie

Postby juliebell » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi Silks, Thanks for your response to my needs. Sounds like you haven't let LE interfere with your artisitic pursuits--good for you!!! I just read something about Kinesio taping but when I was in rehab they didn't mention it to me. But what I read sounded logical. Were you trained to do it by a practitioner, or did you learn on your own with a book or video? Does the tape irritate your skin? My compression glove is driving me crazy---digs into the webs between my fingers and then irritates them. I was wondering of Kinesio may solve this problem and give me better dexterity. Please tell me more about your experience with it. Thanks, Karen
juliebell

Postby silkie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi Julie

My practioner is the person I have to thank

Having both legs wrapped at night, she suggested that i might like to try

the tape on my arm She went step by step on how to cut the tape length etc
even hoe to cut the corners off to keep the edges from coming loose

Then how to place the tape and put it on

once you are shown it is very simple BUT you need to know how to apply it
and where on the arm

As i said once was fine

When we tried knee length supports then kinesio from the groin to the knee again ti was not hard to do the hardest thing was finding my knee cap which the tape goes round

We also have good reports from the mums that use it for the children
It was actually one of the mums that posted about it and that is how i first looked into it

It stays on for several days 3-5 and if a an area does curl ogg you can just cut of that piece and replace that area only

for me it has worked and the pain in my arm well it is rarely a problem

hugsssssssssss

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Return to Lymphedema Lifestyles