Kinesio taping method

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Kinesio taping method

Postby cleo » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Have just read in my local [NZ] paper that we have a practitioner of this method developed more than 25 years ago in Japan. Quote "Since then it has become the 'gold' standard for theraputic and rehabilitive taping for muscular disorders and management of lymphedema and chronic swelling". Has anyone had any experience of this?
cleo

Re: Kinesio taping method

Postby patoco » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Cleo

I haven't personally had any experience with Kinesio taping and am not sure I would really describe it a "the" gold standard.

But, I do know that many many of our members not only of Lymphedema People, but all the support groups we sponsor (including children's LE) have reported it has been very beneficial for them.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby sueb6 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I use it faithfully. It goes on underneath all the other compression but I can certainly feel the difference of its not being there. My PT showed me how to apply it after I had an online friend from the UK told me about it. I will never be without it!!
sueb6

Postby cleo » Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Thank you Pat and Sue. This sounds very interesting so I went on to the internet for more info and we have a qualified physio and instructor living close! Had never heard of it but my son now tells me it's also very popular with sportspeople...tape not cheap but very effective. Anyway...I have slight L leg L [cancer] but the upper thigh seems to be getting away in spite of the manual massage. I think I will give this a go out of curiosity. Am a sceptic about most things but will get back here with opinion after enough trial time.
cleo

Postby cleo » Thu May 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Went to physio on Monday, he did leg measure, massage and taped [total 1.25 hrs]. Wore my stocking during the day over the taping. Back today [Friday] for tape removal and lower leg has returned to my measurement of a year ago and there is improvement in the thigh. The tape certainly keeps the leg feeling very comfortable at all times. Joint decision: the tape may have been the impetus required to get things moving again and, as I have been shown better massage technique and assisting exercises I will continue to massage - with the physio an email away and immediate assistance - if I feel things are not working. Should the taping be a need he will show me how to do the taping so that I can use when required, and monitor to ensure that all is well. So....am I suprised? Yes. A positive move? Again, yes.
cleo

Postby patoco » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 am

Way to go Cleo :!: :) :!: :)

Absolutely good news. LOL...I like those kind of surprises.

Appreciate you letting us know and look forward to even better news ahead.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema