Lymphedema conference

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Lymphedema conference

Postby ksl4139 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Pat, I almost attended the conference. I really wanted to go. I live in St. Louis, MO. I would like to know how it was and if you found any new information you could share. I would like to find DVD's showing leg wrapping, massage therapy methods etc. I don't always remember the exact way the therapist showed me and some do the massage different. I had one therapist that was fairly aggressive and this new one is extremely gentle. Needless to say my swelling hasn't gone down since it started back in late April this year. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. I'm hoping with cooler weather I'll get outside and walk more often, the heat and humidity about kills me. Thanks Pat, hope to hear from you.
Kathy
ksl4139

conference

Postby suzeeq » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Kathy, I attended the conference in Atlanta and had a great time. There were breakout sessions that you picked ahead of time, and I wish I could have gone to all of them. I went to one on bandaging, one on truncal edema, one on exercises. and an expert panel discussion. So much information was given and I was encouraged to hear of the research now being done on lymphedema. It was definitely worth the time and money to go. As for dvd's or videos, you will still need a reply from Pat, as I didn't see any. I did get to actually meet him though. Nice to put a face with the name. I talked with people from all over the country, patients and therapists. I did learn that there are different techniques and the pressure used for mld is different from each therapist. Measuring your extremity will tell you if your treatment is effective. And I learned how to do that at home too, so now I can monitor myself. The only negative I had was that the conference was for patients, families and medical professionals, so some of the info given was, I'm sure, over the head of anyone without a medical background. I'm a nurse and I even had trouble following the wound care discussion. ( I don't work in that area). I'm so glad that I went. Susan
suzeeq

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories