LE IN ARM AND HAND

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

LE IN ARM AND HAND

Postby carol » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
I had breast cancer in 2002 and had 11 nodes taken out. I had a 2cm, mastectomy, 1 node micro,er/pr+++,4 a/c,her2-.
In 2005 i had a preventative mastectomy with no nodes taken.
In 2004 i lifted a small tv and my arm swelled.(LE) Put on a sleeve and it went down a day later.I started wearing a sleeve if i did anything i thought would bother my arm.
All was good until 2005 and i was knitting every day(new hobby) and the 4 joints in my hand swelled from arthritis. Also within 2 days my whole hand swelled.uuuggg (le)
I have had treatment (mld and full wrapping for 5 weeks)and wear a sleeve when i do any work but i have to wear my glove with a swell spot from morning to night.Thank God i don't have to wear anything at night.
My arm is normal almost all the time and my hand stays down pretty good but if i wrap my hand it is normal but it won't stay down.
I am coping well now but at first this was horrific to me. Thiswas worse than breast cancer for me.
LE hugs Carol
carol

Postby silkie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Hi Carol

Welcome , I have swelling in my hand and arm

I do try to give myself time too rest the arm as i do my legs

i usually rest it on the arm of the couch with a cushion inderneath it

durung the day Some nights i raise it on a pillow it is my left arm and i am left handed i do use kinesio taping and that helps me with the pain
also it helps the swelling (well it seems to keep my arm from getting larger thru the day)

I have my legs wrapped each night and in garments during the day
So my practioner felt it was important for me not to feel like
a mummy having the legs wrapped was enough she felt for the moment and We tried the kinesio taping and i am very happy with it at present

Eventually i will need wraps and garments but i prefer to feel less restricted while i can

Hugssssssssss
Silks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Hello Carol

Postby PamelaS » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 am

I do understand how you feel about LE in your arm and hand. Another breast cancer survivor here. My LE is in my right arm/hand. It is pretty decently controlled but I need to watch lifting and that sort of thing. Isn't the easiest as I'm also right handed and have carpal tunnel on that side.

At times it does seem that the LE is nearly worse than the cancer for the simple reason that you've got to deal with it daily; whereas the cancer treatment goes on for a set length of time and is done.

Wishing you the best on your progress with the LE.
:)
Pamela
PamelaS

Postby uscmom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Hey I am a newly diagnosed right hand-arm le 3 year breast cancer survivor. I am wearing a sleeve during the day and garment at night. I think this is worse than having the cancer too. It may have to do with all the remarks about wearing the garment. Like what did you do to your arm or what happened. Not to many people know about it. and you don't see that many people wearing a sleeve that looks like a manican arm. We really need to educate cancer patients more. and maybe they can do precaution exercises or atleast know what to look for and maybe get a handle on it before it gets out of hand. I really hope when the weather cools down that I will not have to wear the sleeve and maybe be able to go to sleep in my bed with my husband with out the garment. Right now I'm sleeping on the couch with my arm elevated. I'm on this sight reading alot about other people and I should be thankful that I don't have it as bad as some but it is hard knowing that I am always going to have this and that it may get worse. Before cancer I just went with the flow now it is like I can't go with the flow any more because there is always something to slow me down or worry about. I will continue to pray to the Lord that he give me the strength courage and hope that it takes to live day to day. uscmom
uscmom

Postby silkie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:42 am

Hiya Uscmom
Big welcome to Le people

Your "flow" your life i still go with the flow it is just a different stroke

You can live with lymph or you can exist i think you will find

most lymphers go for the burn

It just takes time and patience with yourself

I don't think the garment makes any difference to the person you have always been It takes some ajusting and altering of a part of your routine

even your wardrobe i wear the garments on both legs, it took me a little while to accept the garment rather than the swelling my legs being big i was used to the grannie clampett stockings took a little longer

But under them i am the same person, people never liked me because of my legs but the whole package You are no different .

What a person wears be it srockings or supports does not make them change.

looks and stares from people that pass thru your space never to return
are so unimportant.

Each of us that have to accept and deal with whatever condition we have go thru a hard time doesnt matter how bad the codition is any personal battle when it happens to you is hard to get thru

the wonderful thing about le people is we all know how we each feel and how sometimes its such a struggle physically and emotionally
at at those time the friendship and support from the le people sees many of us thru the bad patches
Any questions any times your feeling low come vent it all outr here
you will find so many friends and members that help you thru

huggggggggggggggggggg

Silks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby suzeeq » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi USCmom. I am an OSU mom (Ohio, not Oklahoma), so besides the lymphedema, we both have kids in college. However, I have not had breast cancer, or surgery or any type of accident or trauma. My LE just "popped up" one day 4 years ago. I have had people say to me," well it could be worse!" On one hand, I agree with them. Just watch the Discovery Health Channel and you'll see some really awful stuff! Plus, I am a nurse, and I see alot too. But on the other hand that comment makes me angry, because people don't know about the possible complications that can occur, the constant daily reminder of your disability, and how it affects your daily life. When I was recently diagnosed, I had a friend going through breast cancer. My husband asked me which one I would rather have, the cancer or the LE. I had to think about it and it is just as you said - the cancer can be treated(most of the time), but LE is chronic, progressive, and can be disfiguring. I was actually hoping when I was undergoing all the tests before my diagnosis, that a pelvic mass would be found, I would have surgery to remove it and then I would be fine. But after reading and researching LE, I now know that any surgery that involves possible lymph node involvement, could possibly result in LE. But as the saying goes, bad things happen to good people. I try to stay positive, am still working( but my leg is huge and tight when I get home). But so far I have been able to get at least the tightness gone. I wear a stocking all day, nothing at night but I do elevate. The swelling has moved up into my lower abdomen, left buttocks, left groin. I exercise every day, watch my diet, use a mini trampoline occasionally, and get in a pool. So I am doing everything possible oh, plus MLD twice a month. We all do what we need to do, and adjust along the way. I forgot, self MLD every day too. I even started Pilates, but that is a hard for me as my leg doesn't bend like it used to. But I figured I needed to strengthen my other leg muscles. Did you ever go to any support groups for breast cancer? I was just wondering if you did and did they discuss LE? I work in a hospital and there are not any supports groups for this. But I know that if I went to the Director of Nursing and asked for one to be started, she would probably tell me to go ahead and start one! lol! Maybe I should. Good luck to you!
suzeeq

Postby suzeeq » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi USCmom. I am an OSU mom (Ohio, not Oklahoma), so besides the lymphedema, we both have kids in college. However, I have not had breast cancer, or surgery or any type of accident or trauma. My LE just "popped up" one day 4 years ago. I have had people say to me," well it could be worse!" On one hand, I agree with them. Just watch the Discovery Health Channel and you'll see some really awful stuff! Plus, I am a nurse, and I see alot too. But on the other hand that comment makes me angry, because people don't know about the possible complications that can occur, the constant daily reminder of your disability, and how it affects your daily life. When I was recently diagnosed, I had a friend going through breast cancer. My husband asked me which one I would rather have, the cancer or the LE. I had to think about it and it is just as you said - the cancer can be treated(most of the time), but LE is chronic, progressive, and can be disfiguring. I was actually hoping when I was undergoing all the tests before my diagnosis, that a pelvic mass would be found, I would have surgery to remove it and then I would be fine. But after reading and researching LE, I now know that any surgery that involves possible lymph node involvement, could possibly result in LE. But as the saying goes, bad things happen to good people. I try to stay positive, am still working( but my leg is huge and tight when I get home). But so far I have been able to get at least the tightness gone. I wear a stocking all day, nothing at night but I do elevate. The swelling has moved up into my lower abdomen, left buttocks, left groin. I exercise every day, watch my diet, use a mini trampoline occasionally, and get in a pool. So I am doing everything possible oh, plus MLD twice a month. We all do what we need to do, and adjust along the way. I forgot, self MLD every day too. I even started Pilates, but that is a hard for me as my leg doesn't bend like it used to. But I figured I needed to strengthen my other leg muscles. Did you ever go to any support groups for breast cancer? I was just wondering if you did and did they discuss LE? I work in a hospital and there are not any supports groups for this. But I know that if I went to the Director of Nursing and asked for one to be started, she would probably tell me to go ahead and start one! lol! Maybe I should. Good luck to you!
suzeeq

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories