Open heart surgery and Lower leg Lymphedema concerns

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Postby Yawaco » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Hello all, I've got a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered. I have Primary Lymphedema and have had since the age of 11 yrs. I'm noww 55. I was diagnosed with Endocarditis a month and a half ago and underwent Open Heart surgery for a new aortic valve. My concerns are, what can I expect from the lymph fluid not moving like it should and none of my Doctors know much at all regarding Lymphedema. There are no Docs here in Oregon that I can find anyway and as usual with us we have to do most of the work and hunting for treatment. Does anyone have any answers please? Thank You. Gail[/b]
Yawaco

Postby silkie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi Gail

I am glad your surgery went well

I remember sadlygladly had problems with lymph doctors in oregon to

I know nothing of the surgery you have had or the condition

I am sure pat will be on shortly to chat to you

I just want to wish you well. and hope each day see you improving

hugggggggggggg

Silks xx
silkie

Postby Yawaco » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I don't always have access to pc so I'll have to keep checking in to see if anyone can help me out. Once again though I do Thank you . Gail
Yawaco

Postby patoco » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi Gail

First just wanted to say how delighted to see you join and to hear from you....even though its not such a good thing that you are going through.

There are actually a number of conditions where you have both lymphedema and heart problems that require surgical repair, especially when the lymphedema is caused by a mutation of the FOXC2 gene (lymphedema praecox-meige).

As you might have guessed there are no sutdies that specificzlly address any complications involving lymphedema.

However, in all the studies of such surgeries including heart valve replacment, there is no reported cases of the worsening of leg lymph.

In terms of lymphedema being triggered in the abdominal or chest areas, the report there is good as well. There is a chance Gail that it could happen, but it is a very small chance.

I would just be aware of any change in those areas. Some of the symptoms I experienced when my chest/ab lymphedema began was

1.) Congestion "rattling" in lungs - meaning there was starting to be fluid collection.

2.) That "being full feeling" even though you haven't eaten..or have eaten only a small amount.

3.) Unsual temporary bouts of puffiness in both chest and abdomen

4.) The beginning of the "pitting" effect. When for example you press a finger against a rib, does it leave a dent.

These can be little tell tale signs to be on gaurd - or at least they were with me.

You also should probably talk this over with your LE therapist if you have one and being familiar with your personal situation, they may offer some tips as well.

Don't be a stranger! Let us know how you do.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories