I AM BACK

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

I AM BACK

Postby lisa_t » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:24 am

Two years ago I had severe case of Cellulitis. I was hospitalized for 5 weeks. My leg never went back to a normal color or size. I had seen several doctors including several Vascular Surgeons. All they said is that it is Cronic Cellulitis. That the swelling and skin color would never go away.
I was always researching Cellulitis and one day I came accross a link for Lymphedema. I saw pictures of my leg.
I eventually found Dr Kathleen Francis of Livingston NJ. I was diagnosed as having LE Lymphedema.
I have good news my leg is improving and the swelling is as best as it could be.
Lisa NJ
lisa_t

Postby joanne johnson » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Lisa,

I had chronic cellulitis for quite awhile. I now take antibiotics daily which really help control the situation. I'm glad that you were fortunate enough to find a really good doctor who was able to help you. Best of luck to you and I hope you continue to improve!
joanne johnson

Postby silkie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Hi Lisa Hi Joanne

I am so lucky had it once, and thankfully not since

Lisa so many do not get the help they need either thru mis diagnosis

insurances and financial problems it breaks my heart

We are so blessed in the UK it might take a long time to get diagnosed

even get help but once the ball is rolling we can get all the medical care that is available

I have great admiration for all my Fellow lymphers in the USA and other countries that have to deal not only with lymphedema but struggling

with day to day living

Much love and respect to you all

Silkie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby JonquilJan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 pm

I've lost count of the number of times I have had cellulitius in my lymphedemous leg - someplace between 25 and 30 - in the past 36 years. Anywhere from 4 to 8 days in the hospital each time. I don;t take any daily antibiotics as I feel that would compromise my reaction to the penicillin that works quite well on controlling the attacks. Yes, I am still on penecillin - other, more powerful antibiotics have been tried (all IV) but it still works the best. Of course, my veins are destroyed and IV has to be replaced usually every day because the vein blows/collapses. I am know at the hospital as a 'hard stick' - especially in the ER - where I have ended up 6 times in the past 8 months - none from lymphedema thankfully. I can handle mini storkes and chest pains and passing out in the grocery store (and at home) easier than another cellulitius attack.

Hang in there.

Jan
JonquilJan

Postby joanne johnson » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:17 am

Hi Silkie,

I wish that you lived closer, like down the block from me or just next door so we could chat in person! But on the other hand I am glad that you get such good care in the UK. Maybe that is the reason you have had cellulitis only one time. I must have had it 100 times.
Last summer I was in the hospital wit a bad case of shingles and after that bout I had one cellulitis infection after another. I guess my immune system was depleted. This summer is much better. :D
joanne johnson

Postby silkie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Joanne

Wouldn't that be that be so COOL neighbours

It would be fun

Huggggggggggggggg

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Joanne

Postby lisa_t » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:11 am

Joanne, I live in Elmwood Park, New Jersey not in the U.K. I am so glad that I have Medicare because of the Lymphedema. It does not cover that great but at least is is something.
I have had Cellulitis several rimes and I think that I might have it now. In fact I was diagnosed as having Primary Lymphedema secondary to cronic cellulitis.
Dr Francis is the best. All she does is Lymphedema. Pat knows her well. She is excellant and she is a great person too. She saved my leg and my life.
Lisa NJ :roll:
lisa_t

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories