My Story - Irene

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

My Story - Irene

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:42 pm

My Story - Irene

Originally posted 10/31/2004

Hi Gang,

Had a little time this afternoon so I thought I would add "my story" to the list. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer that had spread into my lymph glands two days before my 40th birthday. I was also in a fairly new marriage after being a single mother of two daughters for 11 years. After two surgeries, four hospital stays, and radiation I was praying for a life back to normal. We were taking a trip to florida and when I got off the plane my feet were swollen. I was worried it had something to do with the cancer.

When we got back home I called my oncologist who not until that time advised me of lymphadema & directed me to a therapist. I must say my therapist is awesome, but in the beginning my edema was mild so I payed little attention to her warnings other than wearing compression hose. My legs seem to become more & more painful. So did my hip. In 2003, I came down with a horrible infection that refused to go away. I was referred to an infectious disease doctor and to this day I am still on 500-1000 mg of penicillin.

I thought I was going crazy, because no one could tell me why the infections kept coming back. I have finally gotten serious. I began to educate myself. I do exercises most every night. I do self message every night followed by wrapping over my jovi suite. When my legs are tired I try to elevate them. I got me a kneeling chair for my office to help prevent prolonged sitting. And I have starting becoming pro-active in my disease instead of ignoring it with the hope that it would go away.

I am amazed at how much better my legs feel when I do these things. yet, it does take time every day. I am blessed with a wonderful husband who has seen me through cancer, and also helps with the message. I have always been a thin person, so the swelling has been very difficult for me to accept.

Acceptance of our disease is one of the hardest parts. But, I am learning every day, often "the hard way", and I am so happy to have been introduced to this website. I have survived cancer, and we can survive this too. My therapist told me she has a patient that has primary lymphadema. She is now over ninty years old! Hang in there gang!!
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories