My thoughts on the Reid Sleeves

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, patoco, Senior Moderators

My thoughts on the Reid Sleeves

Postby JacquieC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:48 am

I have had my bilateral mid thigh Reid Sleeves now for a week and LOVE them. They are a bit cumbersome at first but you quickly learn to adjust when having to walk in them ( to go to the bathroom etc...)
I find them very comfortable and actually look forward to putting them on at night. The awesome part is the next morning when I take them off and have NO swelling and my legs look incredible.

They are worth every penny which is something I want to touch on....the cost.
Here is what I found........I didn't go through a medical equipment company that can order them and do the billing etc. My LE therapist has a Peninsula Medical rep who comes to her several times a year, since she did the measuring and ordering it drove the cost WAY down...and I mean WAY down, apparanetly the therapists get some kind of discount versues a medical company who would send someone out to measure and order them for you. I submitted to my insurance co 2 letters of medical neccessity, some info from Peninsula Medical describing the Reid Sleeve and a pic of what it looks like (PM was great about letting me print the info from their website). I self paid because at that time I had no idea if the insurance was going to accept what I submmited or still tell me it was not covered because it was considered Durable Medical Equipment, because they will not pay for ELASATIC BANDAGING OR COMPRESSION GARMENTS...so I was taking a long shot with the arguement that the RS ARE NOT ELASTIC ( this was the key). I got a letter 2 weeks later that after reviewing what we had submitted that the RS WOULD be covered, so I submitted my bill and am now waiting for the reimbursement.
So it can be done.
JacquieC

decrease in swelling

Postby suzeeq » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi Jacquiec, I just have a question for you. How long have you had lymphedema? I get measured each time when I go to the therapist. If I go down at all, it is only a half a centimeter or so. My tightness that I have in my leg at night is usually better in the morning after bandaging, but the swelling is always there. My left leg is probably double the size of my right. But I have had this for 5 years and just wondering if you were just diagnosed and maybe that is why your edema is gone in the morning. I would love to wake up and have my leg look normal! Susan
suzeeq

Postby JacquieC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Suzeeq,

I have had LE for a year ( was a year in August), it took my primary doc 7 months from the time I presented with symptoms to send me to a vascular surgeon who diagnosed it on the spot, it was the vascular surgeon who put me in contact with the best LE therapist, who just happens to have her office 5 min from where I live, and seeing what she has done for me and others I would have driven hours if I had to just so I could have her treat me.
I've been treating with her since July and just finished up last Friday.
I will go back in Dec to re-measure, she expects me to lose more fluid.
I don't know how much more I could possibly lose, my range of motion is almost what is was prior to me getting LE
JacquieC

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema