Help paying for MLD therapy

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, patoco, Senior Moderators

Help paying for MLD therapy

Postby donsuzbee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:48 am

I am now on Medicare and have a Medicare Advantage plan for my medical expenses. Physical therapy has a $30.00 copay for each session. Since I have Lymphedema as a result of breast cancer and radication, the physical therapy is needed several times per week. I simply cannot afford that expense.
I was authorized for a Flexitouch machine, but I have too much scar tissue in the upper right trunk that the use of the machine is unbearable.
I do compression bandaging, but am in need of MLD. I have had Lymphedema for 6 years and had the 20 MLD treatments every year (the max allowed by ins.) Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Self massage just does not seem to really help either.
I am very swollen again. Even into my hand. I have had a swollen hand before this time, but I was always able to get it under control quickly. This time it is not going away as quickly.
God bless!
Susan
donsuzbee

Re: Help paying for MLD therapy

Postby patoco » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:21 am

Hey Susan :D

So good to hear from you :!:

My Medicare should start July of 2010, so it will be interesting. I'm not sure at this point whether I'll be able to continue my group coverage after that or not. I would really prefer that - and then have a secondary.

Bob Weiss posted a great note in the groups on the present Medicare review of lymphedema and the coverages that are needed for protocol treatment. When I get a chance, I put the post in our governmental section.

It's a shame you can't use the Flexi, but I can imagine the pain that would be involved with extensive scar tissues. The only options I can think of would be a combination of low impact arm exercises and water exercises. The water obviously would be the best in terms of actual results.

When you do the self MLD, do you start with what's called lymph node stimulation? Also, what type of garments are you able to use. Do you wear a hand sleeve or garment? Changing that may help as well.

Let me know and we'll see what ideas we can come up with.

My very best to you and prayers for a wonderful Christmas season as well :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby donsuzbee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Pat,
Thank you so very much for your reply. I have a Tribute sleeve (and vest). I wear the Tribute sleeve, but mostly do compression bandaging. I was going to the pool and then got sick, had to stop. But I hope to start again soon. And you are right, being in the water really does help.
Thank you for all you do for Lymphedema patients!
God bless!
Susan B.
donsuzbee

Postby patoco » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:14 am

hey Susan :)

Do you wear anything at night? One thing that came to mind is a company ran by a fellow named Don Kellogg. It's called Tolesto Medtech

http://www.telesto-medtech.com/

They have both premade and special made garments. A couple years ago I tried an arm product and was really surprised at how comfortable it was "and" how effective it was in moving fluid out of my arm. His garments are made with a very soft fabric and also are quite light.

You may want to contact Don and see if he has anything or can make anything to help.

Also, do you wear anything on the hands?

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema