newbe

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

newbe

Postby Pat » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:19 pm

Just found this site today thank goodness
I am seeing my surgeon on Monday to set up a time for my LND. I had a WLE and SND on May 24th for melanoma in my lower let. they have been bouncing my results around but finally got an answer that there were micromets in my SN. I am not sure what this surgery entails but have been reading some posts on the Melanoma board and it looks like the amount of lymphadema depends on the surgery. Some have superficial nodes removed and some deep but I have no idea what mine will be. I want to get a jump on this right from the get go as I had alot of swelling from the first surgery and still have some now. i will be glad to hear any helpfull hints.

Thanks Pat
Pat

Postby patoco » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Hey Pat :D

Super welcome to our family :!: :!:

Much of the risk does involve how the biopsy and over all for all cancers, there seems to be a 30-35% ratio for acquiring lymphedema.

If you are sitll having swelling from the first process, you may want to go ahead and get a referral to a lymphedema therapist for an evaluation.

Based on your situation, the therapist cancome up witha treatment/maintenance plan specifically designed for you.

Did you have treatment for the melanoma yet?

Look forward to hearing from you and again, a superwelcome!

Pat O'Connor
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Pat » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 pm

I had an initial biopsy which came back positive, I then had a WLE and SNB which came back negative but then the microscopic test came back with micrometastasis. I had all read again and it is positive but just a small amount. I had a PET/CT which was clear. I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow about havin the rest of the nodes removed. I am really worried about the surgery as it seems quite invasive and the lymphadema to follow. So glad there are people out there to talk to that share the same problems.

:)
Pat

Postby patoco » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Hi again Pat :)

That's scary, Pat, having all those nodes removed. Please, just be sure that it is absolutely necessary before its done.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Pat » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:39 pm

did you have yours removed. I think I will but do not want to go on to interferon just dont see the stats to support it but if I hve more nodes positive I may rethink that
Pat

Postby patoco » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi Pat :)

No, none of mine were removed. Since I already have hereditary lymphedema, they (and I) were terrified of removing any nodes at all.

What I did have was a small needle biopsy of the right inguinal node.

It showed positive for lymphoma. My PET/CATs also showed nodal enlargement.

I'm a very very big supporter of the concept of SNB as an important diagnostic tool to use in preventing secondary lymphedema.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories