My 1st hospital visit-dragging my feet the whole way

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

My 1st hospital visit-dragging my feet the whole way

Postby Nancy Bush » Sat May 05, 2007 4:34 pm

I just got home yesterday from my first trip to the hospital for a LE related issue.

I've been such a dope, and living in a stage of denial. I wasn't wrapping my legs like I should have. As a result, the swelling in my legs and feet was getting worse and worse, and I developed open weeping wounds on my legs and on the top of my right foot. Turns out I had a bad case of Celluitis. I had to be admitted to the hospital for IV Antibiotic treatments, and was in there for 2 weeks. It's my own stupid fault, and I brought it all on myself.

I think I was in a stage of depression without realizing it. I always thought people who went through depression were sad, and sat a home just weeping. I never did that, and I didn't feel sad, so didn't think I was depressed.

What I did do however, was to start to isolate myself from my friends. I started turning in on myself, and shutting other people out of my life. When people would call to check on me, I never let them know how bad my condition was becoming. Even when the weeping wounds appeared on my legs and foot, I didn't tell anyone, and I didn't go to the doctor.

My excuse to myself was I couldn't go to the Dr. because I couldn't afford to. (I lost my job last October, and with it, my medical insurance.) My excuse for not telling my friends was thinking I didn't want to intrude on their lives, and have them worry when there was nothing they could really do to help me.

I was just making stupid and irrational decisions with my life. Two weeks ago, I think I subconsiously put out a cry for help. I asked one of my friends to come by and get my car and drive it to get a vehicle smog emission check for me, since I've had difficulty driving lately. (Real difficult to lift my legs to get in and out of my car.)

When she was here, I was wearing a long robe, and was trying hard for her not to catch a look at my legs. Somehow or other, she did see, and I guess she was horrified, although she didn't let me know that at the time.

When she left my house, she was terribly disturbed and called another friend of mine, and told her what my legs looked like. They placed a conference call to me later, and told me they loved me, and knew I wouldn't go on my own, and they were calling to let me know they were going to call "911" and have an ambulance come to my house. I begged them not to, and started crying. They said we're sorry, but we love you. They hung up on me, and the next thing I new an ambulance was pulling up in front of my house.

I knew I needed help, but was just being stubborn....God knows why!! Anyway, I let the paramedics in, who took one look at my legs, and said I really needed to go to the hospital because the wounds were infected, and looked very bad.

I kept saying I can't afford it I don't have insurance, but they convinced me to go. In the deep recesses of my heart, I was relieved to be going.

When I was admitted to the hospital my friends called me, and were so afraid that I was going to be angry with them, and not forgive them for "interferring" in my life.

I told them I wasn't angry, and I apologized for shutting them out of my life and putting them in the position I did. I told them I wasn't a very good friend to do that to them. one is mad at anyone, and I appreciate the fact that they wouldn't listen to me.

I was at a point in my life where for some reason I couldn't make the decision myself to go for help, and needed someone to force me to do so. I'll always be grateful to them for ignoring my pleas, and force me to open my eyes, and start to take control of my life and my LE.

While I was in the hospital I met a wonderfuld therapist named Holly who is certified in LE care. She wrapped my legs and gave me massages, every day the first week, and the 2nd week, every other day. I made arrangements with her to come by my house once I was realeased from the hospital, and she will continue to wrap my legs for me, and give me massage therapy, and teach me the proper way to wrap my legs.

I gave up on wrapping my legs before, because I am very overweight, and had so much difficulty wrapping my legs, because when I bent over to try and do so, my tummy would get in the way. I couldn't sit on my bed, because my bed is too high for me to get in and out of safely anymore. (I am in the process of exchanging my bed for one lower to the ground.) I also couldn't sit on the sofa to rest my leg on while wrapping, because the sofa is too low to the ground, and I have difficulty getting up once I sit down on it. I live alone, so had no one to help me get up.

To make a long story short (too late!!) My treatment at the hospital went really well. The wounds are all healed. The skin is connected back again. No more weeping wounds!! And since they've been wrapped, the swelling in my legs and feet has gone done signicantly.

I did a lot of soul searching while I was in the hospital, and am convinced I was saved from the brink of disaster. I made a vow to myself and all my wonderful friends that I wouldn't shut them out of my life anymore, and if I need help, I won't be afraid to ask for it. I've alreay invited several people over to visit me, which was something I had not done for quite some time.

Well that's my story.....I will continue with the leg wrapping in order to keep the LE under control, and hopefully avoid any further outbreaks of Celluitis, or any of other nasty things that can occur.

Nancy Bush
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV 89144

Postby patoco » Sat May 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi Ya Nancy :wink:

Your note really touched me and I want to thank you for sharing from your heart like you did. I'm just glad that you are ok :!: :!: :!:

I think many of us have been where you were and some of us struggle with a lot of those feelings even now.

Last year when things got so catostrphic for me, I did all I could to hide what was going on..LOL...looking back, not sure I was really kidding anyone, but i thought I was.

The week before i went into the hospital, everything just kinda hit the fan and I became so disabled, I couldn't even get my shoes on by myself.

Lots and lots of feelings about all that, which I haven't fully resolved.

Even with insurance, I owe soooo many thosands of dollars in copays, deductible, out-of-pockets etc that I found myself afterwards saying a funeral would have been cheaper.

So been there done that. :?

Please take care and just know that we are here for you, anytime you need us.

Special hug to Ya

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2175
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests