Ball Massage technique

laser workshops, physiatrists, Diaphragmatic Breathing, daflon 500, coumarin powder, nordic walking, lymphocyte injection, essential oils, massagers, ball massage, heat, Lymphomyosot, Self Massage Therapy, Elastin Ampules, Lymphobiology, leg drainage, naturopathy, ace bandages, Craniosacral Therapy, lymph node transplants, Lymphatic-venous anastomosis, vein grafting, lymph vessel transplantation, surgery scrotal lymphedema, shoes

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, patoco, Senior Moderators

Ball Massage technique

Postby patoco » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 am

Ball Massage technique

Lymphedema People

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com

Original Post by Coyote - 02/16/2005

H everyone!

I want to share with you a new massage technique I developed, out of desperation, in response to the serious chest pains I was having two weeks ago when I had a flare up of swelling. I was beside myself with pain. It consumed my every waking moment for over 14 hours. I very nearly went running to the emergency room, it was that serious.

First, let me point out the obvious, if you experience chest pains, it would be wise to go to the emergency room to get checked out for any heart or pulmonary condition as such an event could be life-threatening.

I don't always do the wise thing, myself, but I had been checked out for heart and lung function recently with no problems found (other than some obstruction in breathing and that was attributed to my weight, though I believe the obstruction was caused by LE fluid around the lungs and other major organs). This was not the first time I had experienced chest pains like this. I had attributed it to being related to my diagnosis of GERD, IBS, stress or an imbalance of electrolytes in my system, or a combination of all of them. I did not relate the chest pains to Lymphedema.

You've heard the stories of people going to the ER with chest pains, thinking they were having a heart attack and discovering they had a bad case of heartburn? Well, that's what I thought this was. I had treated my problem in the past with heartburn medications with some positive results. I had also treated myself with Gatorade with some positive results. But, what REALLY worked the best for me was what I tried this last time and that was using a volleyball sized ball on my chest and abdomen to do self-massage.

I have been using this ball technique on my chest and abdomen ever since and my lymphedema therapist is absolutely amazed with the results! The shape and texture of my abdomen has shifted to a softer, more pliable form. It is much easier for my LE therapist to do massage on me now. My LE therapist has come to the conclusion that I do have a problem with lymph fluid around my major organs and believes that is why I have been feeling so yucky all this time. Finally! I have been affirmed by a medical person!!!!!!!!! I have to remember to make sure she puts that in my file.

What I had been experiencing was what I have called "sternum cramps". It was really a feeling of intense pressure and was centered around the sternum area. Stretching and massaging with my hands seemed to help in a limited way. When I laid down to sleep, I woke up a half hour later with acid reflux, bile had risen up in my throat. You can see why I might think this was GERD. I question how many of my diagnosis are really secondary to Lymphedema, now. I mean, I already had come to the conclusion that many, if not all, of my Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms were related to Lymphedema. I believe the bile rose up in my throat when I laid down and relaxed is for a combination of reasons: The added pressure of my obesity (belly fat), lipidema (belly fat), and LE (fluid built up in the abdomen and around the major organs) was just too much for my body to bear when the lymph fluid increased in my abdomen and chest areas. My chest just radiated pain, it ached and hurt to breathe.

So, my medicine ball exercise, I discovered yesterday, is actually a recognizable technique. My OTR had me demonstrate to her what I was doing the last time I saw her and when I told her that I was going to post my results with the ball exercise on this site, she suggested that I describe my technique because what I'm actually doing is moving the lymph fluid to the nodes along the breastbone and to the cistern in the belly. I also utilized deep breathing techniques while doing the ball exercise.

I have used a bigger ball in the past to "burp" my belly of lymph fluid. This technique is softer and uses a much smaller, weighted ball. I got the idea because I have arthritis in my hands and just couldn't manipulate my body in the way I needed to get the relief I needed. I spent much of the night stretching, breathing and rolling the ball around my chest and belly, looking for that sweet spot of comfort and relief. It took me until the wee hours of the morning before I found it and was able to fall asleep. One of the methods I employed was to lay on the ball, this allowed me to take advantage of my body weight to get the pressure I needed to get the release of the fluid in my belly and sternum areas, thereby relieving the pressure pain I was feeling.

I have used just a regular inflateable ball and a medicine ball (anywhere from 2-4 pounds). I like the medicine ball better because the weight of it makes it easier to do the exercise. Its about 6-8 inches wide.

Here's the technique I use now:

I roll the ball up and down my breastbone, using a firm, but comfortable, motion. Sometimes using "U" shaped motions, sometimes just rolling it straight up and down the breatbone and sternum. I take the ball and manipulate my belly with it using "U" shaped motions, working my way towards the center. This dumps the fluid into the cistern, or pump, in the belly, so it can be removed from the area and put back into the bloodstream and eventually sent to the kidneys and out of the body! I even can use the ball in my armpits, though I find it easier to jut do that with my hands, and on my inguinalds. Sometimes, I just use the ball to push on an area and breathe depply in rhythm to my pushing motion.

I do this technique intuitively. Now, I pick up the ball whenever I start having waves of nausea. I have learned that it alleviates the nausea. I know when I've found the area I need to work on because it makes me feel nauseous when I work the area.

I hope this helps someone to solve some of their LE problems!

coyote

The Medicine Ball Massage Technique is copyright © 2005 Julie M. Ellis. All rights reserved. As the rightful owner of this technique, I give permission to lymphedema patients everywhere to copy this information and use the information to integrate the technique into their self-care regiment. It may NOT be used for profit or personal gain. If there are any questions about the technique, contact me at: coyotemedicine@gmail.com

---------------------

Responses

---------------------

Silkie 02/106/2005

GUESS WHO IS GOING TO BE TRYING THIS
OH YES BALL GAMES
LOL
:lol:
I USE A TENNIS SIZE FIRM SPONGE BALL NOW TO DO MY CREASES
WITH IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY.

O PLACE THE PALM OF MY HAND ON TOP OF THE BALL (LIKE IM MAKING A DOUGH BALL)AND MOVE MY PALM IN A CIRCULAR MOTION THUS TWIRLING THE BALL IN CIRCLES AND AT THE SAME TIME I GENTLE PUSH IT ALONG THE CREASES. iT REALLY DOES WORK.

I WONDER IF YOU COULD USE IT FOR YOUR BUTT?
OR ONE OF THOSE BIG SIT ON BALLS ROLL YOUR BUTT ON THE BALL?
OR USE IT IN EXCERCISE THE BALL AGAINST THE WALL YOU HOLD IT IN POSITION WITH YOUR BACK AND MOVE YOUR BODY UP AND DOWN SO YOUR EXCERSISING AND MASSAGING YOUR BACK.
YOU REALLY CHEARED ME UP IM GOING TO BE EXPERIMENTING
LOL

WOW THERE IS SO MANY POSSIBILITIES
OK ----------- WILL POST WHEN I HAVE TRIED THEM UNLESS YOU BEAT ME TO IT

HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ILL GO GET A BALL TOMORROW
LOVE YA SIS XXXXXXXXXXXXX SILKS

---------------------

Coyote 02/16/2005

hiya silks,

beat 'cha to it, babe!

I've been using a pill shaped ball for quite some time in my regiment. I also use a large ball you sit on. I fully recommend the use of both of them in addition to the medicine ball and a smaller ball like you use. I hadn't been able to use a smaller ball, yet, because I was too swollen. But, its getting easier and easier to get to my inguinalds and other places, so I may be able to do that now, too!

The pill shaped ball, I roll back and forth with my legs on top of it, with me laying down. It makes the exercise of bringing your knees to your chin and kicking out much easier to do.

I also use the pill shaped ball against the wall to roll my butt on it. My OTR suggested I try the smaller ball that way, too, I haven't tried that yet. I'm thinking it might be more effective to target specific areas with.

I do the typical exercises that you do with the round ball you sit on. It seems to help stimulate lymphatic flow, too.

It pleases me that my taking the time to share this information has given you new ideas and uplifted your spirit, silks. You are forever uplifting mine, so its a mutual thing!

So what's the "I" of the ITT, dare I ask?

the first, the one, the only,

coyote

---------------------

Silkie 02/16/2005

"I.T.T" IMPOSTER THUNDER THIGHS

ahhhhhhhhhhhh Well ought to have known you would know what to do
you be clever lady.

im still going to get an assortment

im doing good with the leg excercises i can lift my leg stright up now
just hope the window cleaner doesnt change his routine
HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSS SILKS XXXXXXXXXXXX

---------------------

Tina 02/16/2005

HI Ladies

There actually is a video in libraries on how to do self massage with a tennis ball! My therapist gives each client a tennis ball to use for trigger points too. I'm trying to think, I think the video is in the reference section in the 612-617 area. I saw it when I was checking to see if they had any books on Lymphedema. It's actually called Tennis Ball Massage.

See now you have to come make one Lymphatic Ball Massage, and we can make it a best seller and donate the money to Lymph research Wouldn't that be an awesome thing! The bigger ball is a great idea, much easier to move around too.

Tina

---------------------

Silkie 02/17/2005

Good idea Tina
but no company that make a profit out of ppl's suffering
id give it my friend Pat, then i know it would be used for lymph

and not some profiteering.
Can you imagine us all doing the demonstraion vidoep together?
we be falling about giggling like kids that eould be
fun

like these wonderful garments we see advertised
they should advertise with lymph ppl wearing them
before and after shots.

the miricles pills to before and after,

talking of which, Paula has put her pictures in the chat site
after the treatent ladies page two of the albums

she has a long way to go but great improvement
This lady took on the insurance companies and won.
They only wanted to pay for one leg to be massaged
she said NO
4 times Paula said NO
3 weeks in a clinic full treatment and 129+ pounds weight loss
she is out and seeing therapist and continuing treatment
One heck of a lady
And all this since we opened chat.
What a lady
hugggggggggg lovessssss silks TT to the end

---------------------

dragonfly 04/14/2005

Hello, ladies. I must be VERY careful and watchful with any kind of treatment due to various complications. What is written here about using different balls gets my attention. I can't do bandaging, the massage is questionable for me for a few reasons, and will be trying the Reid sleeve. There's also concern about my abdomen and genital areas. I am wondering if the balls are moved in a circular CLOCKWISE or COUNTERCLOCKWISE direction. I visualize that the tide or lymphatic fluid may move in specific directions, which we would be trying to help along. If I'm wrong, do tell me. Coyote, I also tend to find the way intuitively. I will be looking at different balls when next in the store. This will take me into both the athletic supply and toy sections, which are fun by themselves. Any suggestions, ladies? Ideas?
Comments?

And how, with the brush of an eyelash against a cheek, the movement of pen on paper, power is born. - Beth Brant (Degonwadonti), Mohawk

04/14/2005

One more thing. Am I reading that there are those who are wearing things like girdles to deal with abdominal lymphedema? I wonder if there is constriction on the legs where the girdle other compression garment ends, thereby making LE in the leg(s) worse.

04/14/2005

And here is another postscript. I am reading about the use of what I gather is the very tight bike shorts for genital and/or abdominal lymphedema. Again, I wonder if there is aggravation of LE in leg(s) while wearing these shorts due to constriction where the shorts end at the top of the legs. The same holds when tight-fitting underpants are worn. I find this all confusing. In a nutshell (whatever that means..) On the one hand, there is general sdvice to wear all clothes loosely.On the other hand, there is further suggestion to wear tight fitting underpants and/or tight bike shorts to give support for genital LE. Am trying to sort this out.

---------------------

Coyote 04/14/2005

hi dragonfly,

my lymph therapist has described what I do as U-shaped motions, which do go clock-wise in and toward the center of your body, toward the heart. I sometimes lay on my side now and lightly do the side of my leg, hip, waist and even some of my butt. I've been having big, big pain (from CVI) lately in my legs, so I've been experimenting with the ball with that because I find it so difficult to massage my thighs, even with the use of a towel.

I laid on my side and put the ball between my legs and rolled my upper leg in a clockwise motion, so the ball was moving the lymph up the leg. You would want to focus on moving the lymph outward toward your hip from the inner thigh....you don't want it to go toward the knee or the pelvic area (don't need to cause genital LE with this!), you want it to go toward the inguinalds. You don't want to lean your full weight into the ball, either. That would probably hurt and may be counter-productive. None of this should hurt, there may be some mild discomfort if you are working a really swollen area, but no more than if you were doing the massage with your hands.

My inner thigh, which has been getting that elephant hide like texture to it these last few months, was much improved! I had like a pocket there last night which is gone this morning! That's like a really, really huge thing for me! I have massaged and massaged there and did not get much results there. The only other thing that has really helped to soften that area of my body were the tribute garments.

Also, because I am very limited physically, I do all of my ball exercises on a couch. I find I can manuever my body better this way. And, when I'm doing the leg massage, I can rest my foot between rotations if I need to on the back of the couch.

I have also used the ball under my belly. Since I've been in lymph therapy, its like my belly "dropped", which isn't good for lymph flow, it can cut off the lymph flow to the inguinalds. So, I wear my compression shirt a whole lot more to hold my belly in, and my lymph therapist is having me mindfully pull in my stomach muscles when I walk and when I think of it when I sit. The belly area just above my pelvic area had gotten kind of hard in places, almost like a band across my middle, so I laid down on the couch to take a nap and put the ball between my pelvis and belly. For a large person, it requires moving your belly into position. I find, if i squeeze my legs in in this position, it moves the ball up my belly toward the heart. It really softens up that part of the belly. And then, I slept with the ball there and woke up with it very soft and pliable. My lymph therapist said this makes sense because I relax more then and there is less resistence.

my lymph therapist wanted to make sure that I was doing it technically correct, and fortunately, I was so I don't have to think about it much. But, what she told me if I told other people how to do this was that she recommended the weighted medicine ball (we had started out with a light ball...I was using a kid's ball initially) because it makes it easier to get the pressure you need in the abdomen, which is what I was using it for. The massage is a light brushing in other areas of the body, but a firmer massage can be done and may be necessary in deeper areas like the abdomen and inguinalds and inner thigh. My lymph therapist, by the way, believes that the abdomen is a key area to work for anyone with lymphedema, not just those of us with LE in that area or in the lower legs.

you can get some results with a kid's ball, by the way, if you do not want to invest in a medicine ball. Its just more difficult to do the exercise in the abdominal area.

hope my descriptions are okay....its not always easy to describe!

coyote

04/14/2005

dragonfly,

my lymph therapist, for example, recommends comression leggings, not shorts. you are right, i know on my large body, the bike shorts or most girdles would be too constricting where they end. that may not be true for people who are not overweight and do not have serious swelling issues, but I don't know.

my lymph therapist has had me use a back binder in the past to pull my belly up and into my torso, much like how my ball technique does. this doesn't seem to be a problem, binding-wise, but it was a little too effective the first time I did it, I got flu-like sick from it! (I was hurling like a big dog! I had left it on too long). So, I would definately suggest taking it slow using a compression garment like that!

coyote

04/14/2005

I just thought of something else, my lymph therapist mentioned at the lymph support group tuesday that the only place where lymph flows away from the heart or pump points (not sure quite how she worded that) is in the palm of your hand....it goes from your palm up to your fingers and around the webs of the hands and over the top of the hand. So, lymph does flow a certain way, but as I understand it, its more like a trickling or dripping effect than a wave effect.
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Ball Massage technique

Postby Hoopa7p » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Would this same procedure work on Lymphedema in the legs?
Hoopa7p

Re: Ball Massage technique

Postby blubrdfrend » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:24 pm

That is a good question, Hoopa. One of my problems is in the area where my toes attach to my food. The crease is so deep that it is difficult to clean, dry and treat. I had not thought of rolling an object in the crease but it might work. My thanks to all of you for sharing methods, treatments and ideas.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Return to Treatment for Lymphedema