TracyZ - original post 05/31/2004

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

TracyZ - original post 05/31/2004

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:09 pm

Sounds like I am at an "anonymous" meeting, lol! But this is nothing to laugh about. I was not diagnosed until April 28, 2004, over 20 years since.

I started taking water pills for "swelling". Imagine that! I was always thought to be fat, swollen, retaining fluid, you name it.I have dieted my whole life since I was always a little "fluffy", been on prescription diueretics since I was a teenager.

But, even as a younger teen, I can remember having big legs even though I was thinner elsewhere. I believe if it was caught back then, I woiuld have never arrived at my present weight of 446 (I am only 5'4) which I have been trying desperately to lose. I have been treated for cellulitis twice in the past year, the first time I was hospitalized, this time I said no way!

SO when I went to the therapist to go for a consultation for hydro-therapy, she told me I have this lymphedema, which I never heard of. I was mad at my doctor since he never told me this. When confronted, he said to me "I could have told you that" well why treat me with water pills???

I hope that people will increase their knowledge of this disease, I know if my mother had thought that I had this when I was younger, I would have been spared all this pain. I know I am on the road to recovery, and look forward to making new friends.

Great to meet you all,

Tracy

Hoping to increase awareness of Lymphedema, early diagnosis is key.
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories